Duck eggs are my new jam! I have been going to the Logan Square Farmer’s Market every week to get my eggs and produce, and I am always finding new unique items. I love the Farmer’s Market because there’s plenty of organic produce, I know EXACTLY where my food is coming from (especially my meats) and I love supporting local business! The Farmer’s Market doesn’t even end when summer is over, it just moves inside! How cool is that!? You can visit their website for more information! This week, I decided to try organic, pastured duck eggs from Mint Creek Farm! For those of you that have never had them, they are basically a bigger, creamier version of chicken eggs and you can cook them just the same. Since the yolk is so thick and creamy, I thought these duck eggs would work perfectly for a Paleo deviled eggs recipe! You can definitely use this recipe with chicken eggs, but since duck eggs are significantly bigger, I would add an extra chicken eggs to the recipe. But, I’m telling you, duck eggs are worth trying!
3 organic pastured duck eggs
pan of water to cover duck eggs
1 tbsp Primal Kitchen Chipotle Lime Mayonnaise
1 dash of turmeric
salt and pepper to taste
sprinkles of paprika for garnishing
Directions (makes 6 deviled eggs)
- Place duck eggs in a pan and cover with water
- Bring the water to a boil, once water is boiling, take pan off burner and set aside
- Let the pan with the eggs in it sit for 14 minutes
- After 14 minutes, take out the duck eggs and rinse with cold water
- Place duck eggs in refrigerator for at least ten minutes
- Remove duck eggs from fridge and carefully peel the shells off
- Cut the peeled eggs in half, long ways
- Carefully spoon out the cooked yolk out of each of the duck egg halves
- Combine the yolks, mayonnaise, turmeric, honey mustard, salt and pepper in a separate bowl and mix together with a spoon or fork until it is one creamy mixture
- Take a small spoon or your tablespoon measuring spoon and place equal amounts of yolk mixture in each egg white half
- Sprinkle each egg with paprika
- Cover and store in refrigerator or enjoy right away!
- Make it with chicken eggs! Be sure to add one more chicken egg to the recipe since they are smaller than duck eggs
- Don’t like spicy? Replace the Primal Kitchen Chipotle Lime mayo with the plain Primal Kitchen Mayonnaise!