This is more of a How-To tutorial and a snack idea rather than a recipe, but I just wanted to share one of my favorite snacks that I made after my juice cleanse. It is best to eat raw and eat easily digestible foods after a juice cleanse, and peeling almonds makes then much easier for the body to digest. Almonds have an enzyme-inhibiting substance in their brown coating, which makes them hard to digest. Soaking or sprouting removes this inhibitor so that the enzymes secreted during digestion can do their job. Side note about Trader Joe’s nut butter. It is my absolute favorite! The only ingredient is “Raw Almonds” and it’s much more affordable than every other brand of nut butter. They also have a crunchy version that I love. Can’t beat it!
Organic Rainbow Carrots
Organic Jicama Sticks
Trader Joe’s RAW Almond Butter
Medium sized bowl
- Take a handful of raw almonds and place them in a medium sized bowl
- Pour filtered water over the almonds until they are completely submerged in water
- Soak for 6-8 hours
- After soaking, take out almonds and lightly pat them dry
- With your nail, start to peel back the skin from the almonds (it should come off easily, if it does not you may need to soak them for longer)
- After almonds are peeled, discard skins and dry the peeled almonds
- Enjoy with a side of carrots and jicama dipped in Creamy Raw Almond Butter!
- Use almonds as a topping for pretty much anything! Salads, smoothies, bowls, etc.